I had my first meeting with my mentor Sarah Slavick. We had a great meeting. She's going to push me out of my comfort zone. I agreed to try as a project—producing a piece where the point of departure is created by merely manipulating the materials. Immediately after our meeting I went out and bought some supplies to begin to play with this and I have some specific ideas I'm going to try. She'd also like to see me introduce color into my daily sketches. We plan on meeting in another three weeks or so.
I also went and saw some potential studio space at the Brickbottom in Somerville. The woman there is interviewing several people for the space, I'm in the running but there is no guarantee I'll be able to get it. It sure would be great to get back into a studio with more extra space so that I can start to work larger. In the meantime I continue to slog away in my interim studio in the basement...
Here are my daily sketches...








Here are more versions of the brillow pad. This image got a bit out of control as I kept trying different ideas...

This start came out of my daily sketches...

As did this one (also not finished) you can see where I've started to paint back into it in the lower left corner...

Then, because I was feeling a bit stuck, I went back to the computer and created some with CRAZY color (also dealing with calibration problems). Not sure if I'm going to paint into these or not, or I just needed to get this out of my system...



And at one point when I was getting tired of my brillow pad I started to paint into one of my rubbings. More tedious work...
No comments:
Post a Comment