Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Is printmaking in the mix?

I met with my mentor Sarah Slavick yesterday and had a good meeting. She liked the work I brought and felt I am making quick progress. We talked a lot about ways to develop my vocabulary further. Other ideas for mark making, playing more with perspective, creating atmospheric effects and increasing the "contrast" - since my work continues to be pretty dense overall (although I really like being in that space), I might try opening areas up next to areas that are more densely handled and see what happens.

We also talked about printmaking. I've thought about it before and have quickly discounted it thinking that I don't have a printmakers mentality. Yet as we talked about how I've been using masking and not knowing the effects until after I pull the mask off is a little bit like the unknown factor in printmaking. So, I picked up materials to to do some quick monotype prints with and see how I might be able to incorporate that process into what I'm doing, or just at least see how it informs my current process.

Here's the finished piece from last weeks post.

No comments: