Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

Taking My Time

Working a bit more deliberately on this piece. Investigating the interaction between transparent and opaque layers. Also really testing and understanding the materials I'm working with, I'm bumping into a few technical difficulties that I need/want to sort out.

I'm also noticing something about my process that has been unconsciously present (until now) since the first time I started layering images back last August. I start with a base image, then I apply some kind of technique over it (be it part of another image or a painting technique) and then I go back and fill in behind the area I just applied on top.

On this piece I'm noticing where the power is in this... I have transparent bands of paint moving vertically over the photograph that is underneath. I'm painting colors between the bands (giving the illusion that the shapes/patterns of color are behind them), but since there isn't a trace of the color showing through the bands it creates a bit of a contradiction visually. It's flattening the field while providing an illusion of depth at the same time. Are the bands transparent or opaque? It's not completely clear, as they move between both states (an aspect I hope to exploit).

I'm also taking my time with my relationship to it's 'objectness' and 'composition' (or lack thereof of both), using color and pattern allowing the eye to move around the piece and provide visual interest while still maintaining it's sense of formlessness.

Keep in mind as you look at it, at this stage, that it is still early in the process. I have much to do as I work on this piece, keeping all of the above thoughts consciously present as I continue to build its layers.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Lynda I really like your new images as well as the way you put your process onto the blog.